Dodgy or Fine - Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into an old flat. I will be getting a full re-wire soon enough but I have a question about the safety of a "spur" in the most out of the way room.

There is a double socket in the room by the door and in one of the sockets is a plug. From this plug a fairly large, flattened (not circular section) grey cable (i assume a ring cable) runs. It disappears under the floor and must find its way into the back of a single socket in the far corner of the room. When I flick the switch on the double socket, the socket in the corner of the room starts or stops working.

Is this an issue that a normal plug is the connection to the "spur"? Is it just the same as running an extension cable or does the beefier cable attached to the plug pose any fire risks? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As long as the cable does not run under the carpet, and has the earth wire attached at both ends, it should be OK.

Although twin & earth cable is not designed to be plugged in and unplugged like flexible cable is.

As long as the cable does not run under the carpet, and has the earth wire attached at both ends, it should be OK.

Although twin & earth cable is not designed to be plugged in and unplugged like flexible cable is.
It is also completely inappropriate for a BS 1363 plug and therefore should and must be denigrated.

OP - this arrangement is not OK or acceptable in any way.

As it stands, it does not represent a fire risk.
Not good practice though, twin and earth, flat grey cable, is not designed for this type of installation.

Sponsored Links
It is also completely inappropriate for a BS 1363 plug and therefore should and must be denigrated.

OP - this arrangement is not OK or acceptable in any way.

I don't think any reg is being broken here. It's a bit dodgy, but safe.

Thanks very much for the advice guys. Looks like I'm okay to live with it until the landlord re-wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back