Spurs, FCU's and Plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run a spur from an existsing socket on the ring (I'll call this socket A). It has a fridge plugged into it.

But the socket supplies a spur through the wall in the next room (socket B).

I understand that I need to introduce an FCU somewhere before I can getan additional socket, but I don't understand if this should be:

1. between the ring and socket A
2. as a replacement for socket A
3. Between socket A and socket B - with my new socket then spurred from socket B? Back through the wall- a bit fiddly.
4. somewhere else entirely.

Any answers would be appreciated.

But heres the controversial bit - what's to stop wiring the 2.5mm cable supplying the new socket into a plug with a 13A fuse and plugging it into socket A or B? Im not going to try it, but Im just curious as to what the implications would be. Surely it would be no different than plugging in an extension lead, and yet I'll bet inspectors would shoot me if I did it.

Sponsored Links
Between the ring and socket A. You want the spur to be fed directly from the ring, then the sockets fed through the spur's fuse are wired into the load terms of the spur. This way, the total load connected to the spur cannot exceed 13A.

You could also do number 2, but then would lose socket A.

3 is out, as you will still have a spur off a spur.

Your controversial bit - well, 2.5 cable is not designed to be connected to a plug top. But you could use a 13A extension lead.....

Why not make socket B part of the ring if it's just the other side of the wall from socket A, then you can run socket C as spur from socket A.

Leave the existing cable from socket B connected to A, disconnect one of the ring legs from socket A. Run a new length of cable from B to A & join it to the ring leg you have removed from A (B is now part of ring). Now run one length of cable from A to new spur C.
Hope that isn't to confusing.

Thanks for that.

But what about socket D? (just kidding)

Sponsored Links
comms said:
Why not make socket B part of the ring if it's just the other side of the wall from socket A, then you can run socket C as spur from socket A.

Leave the existing cable from socket B connected to A, disconnect one of the ring legs from socket A. Run a new length of cable from B to A & join it to the ring leg you have removed from A (B is now part of ring). Now run one length of cable from A to new spur C.
Hope that isn't to confusing.

Probably need to repace box A with a deeper one to cope with the joint.

While you are there why not make the spur part of the ring? If you have any slack on the ring cables at A you may be able to thread on through to B and do this without needing a joint - much neater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back