Troublesome Spur!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to add a double socket in my new conservatory.I was going to spur off a socket under my worktop in my kitchen,which I have now found to be a spur already as it has one cable supplying it.
I have already added a spur off a socket in the adjoining garage so is there something I can adapt from there???

Sponsored Links
ian413 said:
I would like to add a double socket in my new conservatory.I was going to spur off a socket under my worktop in my kitchen,which I have now found to be a spur already as it has one cable supplying it.
I have already added a spur off a socket in the adjoining garage so is there something I can adapt from there???

The rules are that you can add only one spur to each socket in the ring. (theoretically you can double the number of sockets in a ring).
If you use a 13A fused connection unit (from the ring, not from a spur), you can create a radial circuit that will be protected by the 13A fuse and there is no limit to the number of sockets you can add.

In kitchens there is generally a 13amp fused spur on the ring which controls the socket at low level, so you may be ok.

I have looked at the dishwasher socket aswell, this has only one cable running to it too. Shall i add a 30amp junction bow onto the original socket i found, even though it only has one cable running to it??

Sponsored Links
Could you not replace the original with an FCU and then connect the new sockets to the 'load' side of the FCU? (This is presuming the original socket is not a spur off a spur)

If i replace the under worktop socket with a fcu, i still need it to be connected to my fridge , and then my new doublr socket. Is this still possible? Put the fridge on the load side aswell as the new double socket??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back