spur off an FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can i make a spur, ending in a double socket , off a socket I have under my kitchen worktop which is connected to the ring main by a FCU?

Sponsored Links
No, because then you would be powering two sockets through a cable capable of only carrying 27 amps. The fcu is fused so the cable would be protected , but the problem is that the total loading on these sockets would only be of the rating of fuse in the fcu. If you think of 2 heavy appliances , you'd be forever changing the fuse - and its not allowed according to BS7671.

In reality all you would be the same as creating a 4-gang extension lead ran from an fcu.

Why not go back to that original fcu and extend the ring from there looping out with one of the ring cables from it to the new socket (s??) with some through crimps , and then rejoining back to that original fcu. This way you'd have no problems!

jondiy said:
If you think of 2 heavy appliances , you'd be forever changing the fuse

A quick look at the time/current curves for BS1362 fuses would tell you that in reality its going to blow a lot less often than at first might be assumed, a bit like the electricic cooker and 10.5kw shower on the 60A service fuse :D (bad design practice, but the fuse has to be replaced less often than you'd imagine - well in terms of the house, quite often it works for years and years and the fuse has never blown)

If your existing socket is fed via the fused spur then you can add an extra socket. You can add as many you like as that leg will be protected by the fuse in the spur.

Not a good idea if you plan to plug your tumble dryer and washing machine in of course, but perfectly legal from an install point of view. (part P is applicable though)

Sponsored Links
Blimey! Not sure what to do now!
With a step-by-step guide, is it an easy job to do or shall i just bring in an electrician?

On balance, as the work is notifiable, and you don't know how to do it, I'd suggest getting an electrician.

Fair enough, I just know he'll have it done in less than an hour and he will charge a ridiculus amount too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back