New spur socket

The corner IS a safe zone.

Yes providing sockets create safe zones on each side of the corner.

I'd go straight through and fit the new socket directly behind the existing one. Best option and highlights a problem with safe zones - when working on a wall the safe zones on the other side of the wall may matter.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
upload_2020-3-19_15-42-32.png

But that drawing only shows the cable going round an 'outside corner' at the safe zone at ceiling level. What it doesn't show is an 'outside corner' at any other height like this in green:
upload_2020-3-19_16-38-52.png

Until now I'd assumed the horizontal zones would be extend right to the corner, although I'll always try to avoid doing so.
I now wonder if it shouldn't be done this way.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-19_16-29-46.png
    upload_2020-3-19_16-29-46.png
    165 KB · Views: 57
I don't know what you mean.

In your example the corner is irrelevant as both sides are horizontal zones.

I don't know what you mean.

In your example the corner is irrelevant as both sides are horizontal zones.
I mentioned it only because it is not shown in the original post and assuming it's OK is not the same as being permitted.
No I would most definitely not do your version of it even though the vertical safe zone is there.

Yes providing sockets create safe zones on each side of the corner.

I'd go straight through and fit the new socket directly behind the existing one. Best option and highlights a problem with safe zones - when working on a wall the safe zones on the other side of the wall may matter.
You don’t need a socket in the corner to make it a zone.

And yet still no mention to the OP of the fact that the original socket needs testing to make sure its on a ring final circuit and must be rcd protected and a minor works cert issued

And yet still no mention to the OP of the fact that the original socket needs testing to make sure its on a ring final circuit,the circuit needs rcd protection and a minor works cert needs to be issued

And yet still no mention to the OP of the fact that the original socket needs testing to make sure its on a ring final circuit,the circuit needs rcd protection and a minor works cert needs to be issued

The tests are carried out to confirm the circuit is safe, not that it is a ring. FYI, it may be on a radial.
Why not mention safe isolation and locking off the circuit, as that is something we do.

We all remember BAS, who listed a set of books to read before anybody tried any diy electrical work. I'd personally rather help than patronise.

Agreed, RCD is required.

I've not seen many diyers issuing an MWC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back