Question on Safe zones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

having read the Wiki entry on safe zones, I am not sure what to do in the following situtation.

I am putting in a spur from a ringed socket in one room, and the cable need to go along the wall to a corner, round the internal corner for about 30-45cm, then through the wall to the room where I need the new socket. It then needs to go up to get the socket to the appropriate height.

My question is this. In the first room, the horizontal safe zone from the existing socket goes to the corner, OK, but does it extend round the corner? If not how should I deal with the length I need around the corner before I get to the point where I go right through to the other room?

Would a better idea be to get to the corner, do the up bit in the 15cm zone, also, go through the wall, then use the horizontal safe zone from the new socket in the second room for the channel to the corner ?

Although the above descriptions make perfect sense in my head, its just possible (!) they are not detailed enough. I could draw a piccy if that would help.

James

Sponsored Links
My question is this. In the first room, the horizontal safe zone from the existing socket goes to the corner, OK, but does it extend round the corner?
No
Would a better idea be to get to the corner, do the up bit in the 15cm zone, also, go through the wall, then use the horizontal safe zone from the new socket in the second room for the channel to the corner ?
Yes. You've answered your own question ;)

As Sean says, the second option would be better. However can you not access the cable either under the floor or above the ceiling and have a simpler route?? (also I would try not to spur it if I could help it, why not bring it into the ring??)

Cheers all.

I think trying to access via the ceiling (where the ring appears to be) would be problamatical. ie. Lots more work pulling up carpet/floorboards/chipboard upstairs etc. Also more channeling required.

To put the new socket on to the ring I would need both parts of the ring to go the route as specified above, plus putting some sort of connector in the source socket back box to extend the ring. Certainly feasible but I am not sure of the regs to do with that. How should that connection be made? Is a block connector acceptable? Would there be room in the back box?

I'll do a search on extending the ring...

James

Sponsored Links
OK, a seach through posts here indictes that I could crimp the cable in the socket backbox - I have a good quality crimping tool. However, the posts about it are old so the regs may have changed!!

Perhaps a better option is to add a new socket next to the original, and use that as a sort of JB, providing the existing ring tails are long enough.

Hmm.

Maybe a spur would be a bit easier....

James

James,
There would be nothing wrong in running this as a spur, however it is not my preference! Also if you crimp, make sure you are using ratchet crimpers and not the tat you get from motorist shops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back