Safe zone?

Is it me or is the solution fairly obvious here.

assuming the socket is not already a spur!!

Fit a FCU next to the socket, fuse down at 5A, 1.5mm up the wall from FCU to switch to Light fitting!!!

6ptj2ua.gif

Please read the thread:

Is this the feed for the upstairs lighting circuit?

yes.

This is the FEED from the consumer unit to the upstairs lighting circuits.
An FCU is not a proper way of providing this.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice. A guy on another forum (electriciansforums) is confident that diagram 1 is correct so I think I will go with option 1. If it proves wrong on inspection it will be easy enought to change.

One guy is confident and several say it's a grey area, so you choose to listen to the one guy? :confused:

I suppose common sense should come into it.

Option 2 is 100% safe zone, though it's a little tedious having to run the cable through or behind the socket.

Option 1 certainly appears acceptable too, until you start to think about it.

Though we are permitted to run cables in corners, I think running them in line with electrical accessories is a more obvious thing to do. Even running the cable through the socket box will at least give someone a clue as to where it goes.

The trouble with running cables in corners is the general public won't have a clue they could be there. Also, a corner of a room is always the place where people will fix mini-trunking and pipes to, because it's neater.

Also, in your case, option 1 is a prime place for someone to fix a curtain tie-back, or whatever.

I think option 2 is better.

Sponsored Links
I think the corner option is a crazy thing for the regs to allow.
Take a look at many kitchens. Those wall cupboards run right into the corners. Guess where the screws for the brackets will go.....

In option 1, are the short horizontal runs of cable just above the sill and underneath the lintel safe zones? The whole point of safe zones is that they are clearly demarcated to reduce the risk of surprises with consequences. If we have to think hard about whether it's technically a safe zone or not, that's a reasonable cue to look for a better option, which there is in this case.

Thinking about this, all safe zones created by the position of an electrical accessory or fitting, continue in straight lines both horizontally and vertically to the full extent of the wall.
So the two in-line safe zones created by the corner of the room, both above and below the window should at least continue and be joined up.

That's what I would call joined up thinking :)

Thinking about this, all safe zones created by the position of an electrical accessory or fitting, continue in straight lines both horizontally and vertically to the full extent of the wall.
So the two in-line safe zones created by the corner of the room, both above and below the window should at least continue and be joined up.

Thats the other guys argument and he suggests that anybody looking at this corner at a later date (from an electrical point of view) will naturally assume this, to be on the safe side.

Thats the other guys argument and he suggests that anybody looking at this corner at a later date (from an electrical point of view) will naturally assume this, to be on the safe side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back