Are these cables in the safe zones?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hopefully an electrician can tell me whether this is wrong or right? I'm planning on spuring off a circuit with 2 extra sockets. Regarding running cables within the safe zones, would these cables be within the safe zones?...as the cable is running horizontally and vertically to the new sockets.

Sockets_0.jpg

Thanks for any advice given,
Paul

Attachments

• Sockets_0.jpg
    Sockets_0.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Yes. Assuming the top line is within 150mm. of the ceiling.
If you haven't done it yet, then I would prefer down from the first socket and then right to the second. I.e a big L apart from the top line.

If that spur is off a ring final it does not comply. You can only have ONE socket (single or double) on a spur not three.

Sponsored Links
If that spur is off a ring final it does not comply. You can only have ONE socket (single or double) on a spur not three.
You can do it, but you would need to install an FCU (with 13A fuse)
BG850.JPG

before the first socket in your diagram.

NO! The cable must run horizontally or vertically between the accessories. Your middle section doesn't comply.

NO! The cable must run horizontally or vertically between the accessories. Your middle section doesn't comply.
I beg to differ. The safe zones created by accessories go an unlimited distance (until they hit a corner, wall or ceiling) horizontally and vertically from the accessory. All parts of that 'middle section' of cable is therefore in one, the other, or both of the safe zones created by the left and middle sockets.

However, as has been pointed out, quite apart from safe zones, if they arise from a ring final, those three sockets cannot be run as an unfused spur.

Kind Regards, John

Pretty much what I wrote. The cable must run horizontally or vertically between the accessories.

Pretty much what I wrote. The cable must run horizontally or vertically between the accessories.
Fair enough. That would, however, seemingly be somewhat restrictive - for example, quite apart from dictating accessory location, it would presumably not allow a cable to run to an accessory unless there were some other visible accessory that it was running to? How is it meant to work with cable drops from above ceiling, or below floor, to light switches, sockets etc. - are they 'forbidden'?!

What exactly is this "basic safety standard"?

Kind Regards, John

It's an IEC WD for an amendment to the relevant part of 60364, so not (yet) part of the BSS. It doesn't forbid switch drops, etc, it just means that unless two accessories are visible there are no zones that are considered to be safe zones.

It's an IEC WD for an amendment to the relevant part of 60364, so not (yet) part of the BSS. It doesn't forbid switch drops, etc, it just means that unless two accessories are visible there are no zones that are considered to be safe zones.
Interesting. Thinking about several of the rooms here, it would seem that would mean that in most of them there would be no 'safe zones' (or, at least, useful ones) at all. About the only exception is in the kitchen, where there is a horizontal line of sockets - although, ironically, far from all of them are connected by horizontal cables!

Is this likely to get incorporated in future editions/amendments of BS7671? ... and, if so, are all cables buried in walls likely to be outlawed (unless they are in conduit or have earthed coverings)?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back