Safe zones apply to 10mm supplementary earth bonding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm installing a few new circuits and a new 17th edition CU (all under local building control) into my house. I'm have trouble finding a route for the 10mm earth cable to within 600mm of the water supply that runs in line with the safe zones.

The cable runs down in a corner safe zone but then needs to come across horizontally (what will end up being behind cupboards) to the water main pipe. The floor is concrete and there's a window directly above.

Do the safe zone regs apply to 10mm earthing? If they do, does the fact you can see the earth clamp count as a horizontal safe zone?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jez

Sponsored Links
You mentioned "coming down", if the main eathing terminal (MET) is at height, why not run from the floor above and drop down in the corner where the units/ cupboards will be.

Many thanks Ban-all-sheds. I thought I'd read somewhere that routing in safe zones was still necessary even if clipped to the surface of a wall? I guess you'd be a bit special to bang a nail through a surface mounted cable!?!

Sponsored Links
I guess you'd be a bit special to bang a nail through a surface mounted cable!?!

You may laugh... but I've seen surface YT2 ripped off in a bit of frenzied DIY ripping out...pine clad room, the cladding boards were off, and work was started on the cross timbers they were nailed to... there was a piece of YT2 on the wall behind that had been painted many times, and in the dusty environment, it got mistaken for an old bit of wood nailed to the wall (perhaps to support some cabinet long removed) and got 'removed' with a claw hammer... luckily it was completely empty, cables must have been cut off and drawn out at some point in the past

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back