cable routing safe zones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a rewire of my kitchen, LABC notified. I am at the planning stage for cable routes and just want to check that my understanding of safe zones is correct. In the following picture is a hypothetical scenario of 3 double sockets.

The yellow bars indicate my understanding of the safe zones created by installing the sockets.
The yellow bar at the top is the 150mm from the ceiling zone, the room is wider that the image below so the 150mm safe zone vertically down each side wall is not shown.
The red lines show a proposed cable route for these sockets.
The ceiling void above socket 3 is not accessible due to the bathroom above, hence the wiring to socket 3.

Does it look OK and within current regulations?

CableRoutes.gif

I have not drawn my real life cable plan yet as locations of appliances and outlets has not been decided.

Sponsored Links
Looks alright to me.

For reference, this is the NICEIC safe zone diagram
safezones.jpg

Thanks.
My main concern was about turning a 90degree corner from one socket to the next. I thought it should be OK, but a second and professional opinion should help prevent any problems when the LABC person visits!!

As for socket 1 where a cable just passes through. Does the cable need to go in one hole on the wall mounting box and out another, or can it be buried in the plaster against the outside of the box. Assuming surface mounting boxes here.

As you are using surface mounted boxes personally I would have the cable chased in behind the box.

It would be unexpected to find a cable chased in around the box so IMO this would be outside the sfe zone.

If you route the cable through the box this will make it very difficult to replace the backbox in the future shoud it ever become damaged etc., without having to either cut and and joint or remove and reinstate the cable which passes through.

Will the cable be flush or surface mounted?

Cables do not need to be run in the safe zones if they are surface mounted.

Sponsored Links
All cables will be covered by plaster.

Thanks for the help. I will go and plan my cable routes properly now.

Thanks RF Lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back