cable routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run socket and lighting cable in a new room but the room has a high pitched ceiling how can you keep the cable runs in the 150mm safe zone

Sponsored Links
crystalball.jpg

very vague very poor I know!! a photo would help but I'll have another go at discribing it. the wall in question will have ring main and lighting cables run across it (2.5 meters span) but the ceiling pitch is steep (ie a drop of 2 meters over this distance) so to stay in the 150mm safe zone would mean the cable is running diagonally following the ceiling!!
this description sounds even more confusing than the first

brap said:
very vague very poor I know!! a photo would help but I'll have another go at discribing it. the wall in question will have ring main and lighting cables run across it (2.5 meters span) but the ceiling pitch is steep (ie a drop of 2 meters over this distance) so to stay in the 150mm safe zone would mean the cable is running diagonally following the ceiling!!
this description sounds even more confusing than the first
You got the last bit right :D I presume you mean you are putting sockets & lighting circuit into a shed shaped room( dam that is nearly as bad as your description). Can you run the ring main under the floor & up to the sockets & the lighting cables along the ridge?

Sponsored Links
unfortunatly not concrete floor and rafters run the wrong way also lights on three walls

Where are the cables going to enter the room? Is this a new "lean to" extension to your house? Why do the normal safe zones not apply?

Thanks for the response.
The cables enter the new room at about 2.5meters up an existing wall (this corresponds with the floor void in the existing build and therefore pick up existing ring and lighting) its then another 1.5 meters up to the new ceiling height.
Yes it is a new extension to the house, using two existing house walls (two foot thick stone and one has a fireplace set into it) the other existing wall has been removed (with suitable lintles) to create a large opening, and two new walls one of which has a set of double exterior doors and the other, lower half glass and the top half blockwork (to be plastered) its the top of this wall that follows the pitch of the ceiling ("lean to" as you say) so if I run the cables 150 from the ceiling its running diagonally.
Or if I run the cables horizontally it would be 150mm from the ceiling at the lower end and about 2 meters from the ceiling at the opposite end of the wall.
Is there any way I can attach a Picture as I am sure it would make a lot more sense :confused:

Can you install a wall light where the cable enters the room? Then the safe zones run horizontally and vertically from that point, so you can get to the ceiling and/or the floor in the new room.

150mm from corner of room or ceilings..

so just run up to the ceiling in the corner where the cables enter, then along the 150mm from the ceiling, and down to the accessory

It would look poor to put a light fitting where the cable enters the room but could maybe tidely sink a box with a blanking plate to make connections. If I then dropped vertically about 500mm to the level of the wall lights (with radial and the ring) and run horizontally around the room picking up the wall lights and also drop vertically to the sockets would this be acceptable (it would be 150mm from ceiling on some parts of wall and a couple of meters from ceiling on other bits of the wall)

Is it possible/ acceptable to attach a photograph of the offending room as it would be much easier to explain, I thought I read that it was not acceptable although there seems to be a few pictures about???

Of course you can.

If you don't know how, see here

Note my signature. ;) We love pictures!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back