Mirror light and heated towel rail in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to provide cables for a mirror light and a heated towel radiator into a new bathroom.

I am trying to decide on the cable route. From the outside wall light switch, one cable running to the mirror and another cable running to the towel rail which is further away.

For the routing, I have read about bathroom zones 1, 2 and 3, and I can plot a route that basically goes over the vanity unit dropping off the mirror lights, and then continuing on and dropping down to the radiator further down.

As there are no other light switches or power sockets inside the bathroom, the only safe zone I can think of is 150mm below ceiling level. For example I cannot run a cable over the vanity unit because there will be nothing to indicate to anyone there is a cable running over the unit at mirror height.

But even if I go around at ceiling height, the drop down section of the cables will be awkward because there will be nothing to indicate to anyone that there is a vertical cable running down from ceiling to towel rail. I can have the descend at the wall corner but then I would need a horizontal run to reach the radiator.

Could someone please advise me on this?

Sponsored Links
Wont the fittings themselves - mirror and vanity unit - indicate the (potential) existence of the route, and so comply?

Blup

I have just thought, I could/will have a very visible switch near the radiator and then run a cable to the switch. From the switch an external cable to the radiator's heated element. I was hoping to be able to hide the "switch" and minimise the external cable.

For the vanity unit's mirror and/or lights, there is no visible switch to indicate where the cable might be, so maybe the middle of the mirror is assumed?

I have just thought, I could/will have a very visible switch near the radiator and then run a cable to the switch.
You cannot have a switch less than 600mm. from the bath or shower.
If that is the case then just use a flex outlet plate and have the switch elsewhere.

From the switch an external cable to the radiator's heated element. I was hoping to be able to hide the "switch" and minimise the external cable.
Then use the flex outlet plate.

For the vanity unit's mirror and/or lights, there is no visible switch to indicate where the cable might be, so maybe the middle of the mirror is assumed?
Often (usually?) the power is taken from the light so the cable will be above the ceiling and then just run down the wall.

However it is done, the position of the cable will obviously be taken as where it exits the wall.

Sponsored Links
You cannot have a switch less than 600mm. from the bath or shower.
It will not be, it is far from the shower and sink.

If that is the case then just use a flex outlet plate and have the switch elsewhere.
What is a "flex outlet plate" ?

I do not really need a switch on the wall, it is just a visual indication that there is a cable in the wall running from the ceiling vertically down to it. The towel rail's own switch will be next to the light switch, outside the bathroom.

It will not be, it is far from the shower and sink.
Ok. Sinks/basins are irrelevant.

What is a "flex outlet plate" ?
It is just a connector that fits on a standard back box which has an outlet for a flex.

Ah OK I have seen dozens of these, maybe have wired one or two as well (immersion heater and cooker comes to mind).

Is it allowed to hide it behind the body of the radiator? Or must the face plate be visible at all times (which would make more sense) ?

This is what I did today, in preparation for plastering.

Attachments

• 2023-06-02 21_18_34-20230602_190134.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg
    2023-06-02 21_18_34-20230602_190134.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 2023-06-02 21_13_51-20230602_190145.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg
    2023-06-02 21_13_51-20230602_190145.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 35

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back