Bathroom wall light and separate heated mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help answer a couple question I have regarding a wall light and a bathroom heated mirror I hope to install soon

What's the best/ normal way to install a heated mirror?

I have a ceiling light and will have a electric shower with its own special thick cable.

Can I run the heated mirror from either of these connections?

And also, do these heated mirrors need a additional on off switch?

Sponsored Links
Most heated mirrors have an on/off switch. You do not want it on all of the time!
I have mine tied to the bathroom lights so it goes on and off with the light.

Did you have a q re a wall light??

Hi

Thank you so much for you help with this.

So basically the main light will need to be switch on for the heated mirror to work? Even in day light hours?

Regarding the wall light, I was thinking to have one installed above the mirror.

Should this also run off the ceiling light but have its own on off switch?

So basically the main light will need to be switch on for the heated mirror to work? Even in day light hours?
That's they way I like it, then I do not forget to turn it off! A typical heating pad is 65 Watts and I dont like to waste energy, not to mention throwing money down the drain..
Should this also run off the ceiling light but have its own on off switch?
Its up to you. I have a separate light and I like to have it on its own separate switch. Its a lower wattage light and easier on the eyeballs for those 3am visits.
If it is a separate light then, of course, you'll need an unswitched lighting feed to the light.

Don't forget that a lot of bathroom electrical work is notifiable (England & Wales)

Sponsored Links
most heated mirrors also have lights so you know when they are on.
mine has a built in "wave your hand" sensor to turn it on and off, so it has an unswitched connection to the lighting circuit.

Step one either get a scheme member electrician or inform the LABC and pay fee.
If former than leave it to the electrician.
If latter then consider first who will inspect and test.
I could continue but really there is no option the LABC route is far too expensive so would have to be the scheme member electrician.

Much depends on to which version of the wiring regulations the system follows, new items must follow the current version and there is no indication as to how old the existing wiring is. If lights are already RCD protected then easy simply connect to lights, if not then the question is how and where will you install the RCD and will this involve any safety considerations like emergency lighting? Also access and where items are to be located. Last wet room I did the door opening was moved around 9 inches which left a handy stud wall where all controls could be mounted, power shower isolator, fan isolator, Under floor heating isolator and controls and light switch. But each wet room or bath room will be different. Be it a simple pneumatic time switch or coming on with the light it really does not matter. It is the cutting into walls and having to re-plaster or re-tile which in the main controls method used.

My sister had a heated mirror, it was really a failure, it was not fast enough removing condensation when we wanted to use so ended up wiping it with a towel.

My sister had a heated mirror, it was really a failure, it was not fast enough removing condensation when we wanted to use so ended up wiping it with a towel.

They work OK to prevent condensation forming, but not to evaporate it once it is there.
So turn it on before you get in the shower, and when you get out the mirror will be clear.
Having it connected directly to the light or fan makes some sense because of this.

Thanks all,

My main concern about connecting it to the lights directly was that in the day time, I wouldn't need to turn the light on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back