Lighting for mirror in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Planning on hanging a 7ft x 2ft (approx) mirror (4mm) on a tiled wall in the bathroom.

I am considering having lights on the wall above the mirror, across the top, to look down on the mirror. What I initially had in mind was a chrome pipe across the top with mini spotlights (the swivel type) attached to the pipe at intervals, however, I cannot seem to find any individual lights (they all come with those ceiling lights which have a big round fitting at the centre). How many watts are suitable for bulbs for this purpose (don't want to be dazzled!)? The lights are to be connected to an ordinary three pin plug to be plugged in outside of the bathroom. The lights/mirror is to be placed on a wall away from the shower cubicle and the wash basin. I also haven't found any chrome pipes under 19mm (19mm seems a bit too big; was hoping for a much thinner pipe). I suppose I could just buy one of the ceiling lights and fit that above the mirror instead.

Any suggestions/advice is very much welcome!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I dont think i understand. You cant fit downlights in a non-flat surface.

Downlight:
QLDL50W.JPG

You cant fit any lights into a chrome tube the diameter you describe. Theres also the earthing issue with that. Do you know how thick 19mm is? 1.9cm, 0.019m, 3/4 inch.

You said this was a bathroom - which zone will it be mounted in?

Do you understand what I mean by "zone" ?

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the replies.

Yes, I've heard about zones, but only whilst I was looking for bathroom lighting in the last few days, so don't know alot about them.

As mentioned already, the wall on which the mirror is going onto is away from any potential water splashes or direct steam. I think the room's about 7ft x 6ft, the shower has a screen around it and is against the opposite wall of the mirror and the wash basin is on the wall adjacent to it, but in the centre. Also as mentioned before, the socket will be located outside of the room.

I would be more than happy to buy bathroom lighting instead of having to go to all the hassle of trying to codge (haha) one up, but haven't found anything like what I want.

Thanks.

Traveller said:
The lights are to be connected to an ordinary three pin plug to be plugged in outside of the bathroom.

WHOA. STOP RIGHT THERE.

You MUST NOT do this.

You are saying you are going to take a home made portable appliance into your bathroom.

I really think you are going to put yourself and your family in real danger if you attempt this project yourself.

It is very rare for me to say this on this forum, but you need to get an electrician to properly install a proper, suitable light fitting for you.

Why not RF? I take a fan heater into the bathroom and sit it on the edge of the bath, then when I get out it dries me off nicely. I have it plugged into a 4-way plug trailed under the door, so I can have a boombox in there too. The 'mersion is plugged into this too, never got round to wiring it up, plus theres part p. I took the fuse out of the 4-way socket's plug and stuck another neutral pin in there, who needs plugtop fuses they dont have them in france. The flex provides a bit of supplemental heat then.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

ALL OF THE ABOVE IS INTENDED AS A JOKE PLEASE DO NOT TRY ANY OF IT AT HOME, AND I SECOND ALL OF RF'S POST TOO

Crafty said:
Why not RF? I take a fan heater into the bathroom and sit it on the edge of the bath, then when I get out it dries me off nicely. I have it plugged into a 4-way plug trailed under the door, so I can have a boombox in there too. The 'mersion is plugged into this too, never got round to wiring it up, plus theres part p. I took the fuse out of the 4-way socket's plug and stuck another neutral pin in there, who needs plugtop fuses they dont have them in france. The flex provides a bit of supplemental heat then.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

ALL OF THE ABOVE IS INTENDED AS A JOKE PLEASE DO NOT TRY ANY OF IT AT HOME, AND I SECOND ALL OF RF'S POST TOO

I love to dry my hair whilst still in the bath, it's a bugger when I drop the hair dryer though ;)

My hotel in Prague had this installed. It was RCD protected.

Yes I took photos of the wiring. :oops: Yes I checked for RCD :oops:

sinksocket.jpg

Dry your hair in the shower!
showerhairdryer.jpg

I had a socket over my sink in a Euro Disney hotel the other week, I couldn't belive it!

Crafty said:

Tch. You blithering idiot. You cannot be serious. This has got to be a wind-up.

You've done it all wrong, and I'm really disappointed in you because you've given all of us good sparks a really bad name by association.

You forgot to remove the cpc from the extension lead plugtop. ;)

I've used countless continental bathrooms with hairdryers like that. As long as they're RCD protected & you're sensible, they're fine.

After all, if you've got a bathroom big enough, you too can have a hairdryer like that in your bathroom come June 2008 (7671:2008 willing).

securespark said:
You forgot to remove the cpc from the extension lead plugtop. ;)

How would you do that Simon?

I would use one of these special plugtops and an old MK 'two pin operated shutter' :LOL:

13062006161.jpg

(Is there no end to my photo archive?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back