Bathroom mirror wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a bathroom mirror with built in led lighting and demist pad and a 1m flying lead, I can connect to the existing ceiling lights, a ring in the attic via fused spur or plug top connected to the above ring, any help ?
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You certainly can't use a plug top (the cover of a plug), but you may be able to use a complete plug.

Thanks it has 2 touch controls on the face of the mirror 1 for light & 1 for the demist pad

Sponsored Links
OK. It is most usual to connect these to the lighting circuit*.
Quite often, that is the most accessible power for a bathroom.
NOTE: the circuit will need to be RCD-protected. Is it?

* Ignore the one individual who will come along on here to say that you must not connect anything to a lighting circuit, but a light.

Ok can I connect the flex onto 1.5 twin & e and connect into lighting circuit or do I need to fuse it ?
Thanks

Ok can I connect the flex onto 1.5 twin & e and connect into lighting circuit or do I need to fuse it ?
Thanks

No need to fuse, lighting circuits are already 'fused' in your CU.

No need for 1.5mm twin and earth, 1.0mm is perfectly adequate.

It is a silly term - but I have read an explanation (might have said before) that the reason for it is that people - presumably in the areas that still use the term - used to call sockets plugs therefore the plug top fits in the plug.

The explanation did not say why this, even dafter, name came about.

I did some work for a guy who called every accessory a plug, switches, CCU, ceiling rose, and he pronounced conduit "condwee"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back