Bathroom mirror with led and demister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I never go near electrics as it's borderline witchcraft in my opinion, but the father in law is round who's done plenty of diy electrics so....

We're planning to install a bathroom mirror with led and built in demister pad, by taking a spur off the lighting circuit. The spur itself would be in a stud wall between bathroom and bedroom.

Couple of questions if anyone can help as I've looked at Llol of things and still confused... Is any of this notifiable work in England? Does what we're planning on sound sensible? Would it be better to spur off a socket ring?

Cheers for any advice,
Bert

Sponsored Links
If it is further than 600mm from the edge of the bath it is not notifiable.
Connection to the lighting circuit is probably easier. Does the lighting circuit have an RCD?

Thanks flameport, its above the sink but guess the zone 2/600mm still applies. Is the distance to the edge of the mirror or where the wire enters the mirror (or somewhere else) that matters?

I had a new consumer unit put in a couple of years ago and I think it's got an RCD, any way I can check for sure?

Cheers,
Bert

No zones above sinks / basins. It's only the distance from the bath or shower which matters.

A consumer unit from 2 years ago should have RCDs for everything, but post a picture of it here to be sure.

Sponsored Links
Sure, photo attached. Looking at it there are 2 protected circuit things on it so fingers crossed.

Good news on the sink was worried I'd have
to have the mirror miles away.

Attachments

• IMG-20180330-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20180330-WA0002.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 217
That has RCDs for everything, so no problem there.

For cables, the best method is to fit a flush box in the wall, so the cable can enter through the back of the mirror where it can't be seen.
3core&earth cable from the existing light to the mirror position (L, N ,SL, E), this will give the option of having the mirror switched with the main light, or alternatively using a separate switch on the mirror itself.

AS Flameport says, bring L, N E and SL to the mirror. Hopefully it has its own switch for the mirror lights?

I like to have the demister run from the lighting switched live, then you can't forget and leave the demister on for days.

3core&earth cable from the existing light to the mirror position (L, N ,SL, E), this will give the option of having the mirror switched with the main light, or alternatively using a separate switch on the mirror itself.
I must be being dense today but how would you connect that? If the live goes to one side of the switch on the mirror and the switched live goes to the light in the mirror than as far as I can think switching on the switch on the mirror would also switch on the main light as the s/l would become live. A relay would prevent the problem but might be overkill.
I'm sure flameport will tell me where my thinking is wrong and I'm happy to learn.

If you take the mirror plate off, the wiring will be revealed. its just a matter of separating the demister live cable from where it is, and connecting it to the switched live feed. Its easy for me,cos I've done loads - and probably your FIL?
Pop a photo of the internal wiring on here and maybe can advise.

But your priority will be to get some 3-core and earth cable and get the feeds to the mirror site. Connection options are the next step!

I must be being dense today but how would you connect that? If the live goes to one side of the switch on the mirror and the switched live goes to the light in the mirror than as far as I can think switching on the switch on the mirror would also switch on the main light as the s/l would become live.

So, your mirror has itys own switch that turns on the mirror light?
You connect the permanent live to the mirror switch, unless you always want the miror to light up with the other bathroom lights. i prefer them separate, then you can just have the mirror lights on at night.

If the live goes to one side of the switch on the mirror and the switched live goes to the light in the mirror than as far as I can think switching on the switch on the mirror would also switch on the main light as the s/l would become live.
You use either the switched line OR the permanent line.
Not both.

Some illuminated mirrors don't have a switch in them so would be switched with the main light using the switched line.
Others do, so would use the permanent line.
Also provides the option for when people get a different mirror, or when installing the wiring before a particular mirror is purchased.

You use either the switched line OR the permanent line. Not both.
If I understood him correctly, I think that TTC was suggesting that, IF the feeds to the demister and light could be separated, and IF the mirror had a switch for a light, then both L and S/L could be used - the L to the switch for the mirror's light (so that it could be used at night, without main light on) and the S/L to the demister (so people did not forget to turn it off).

Kind Regards, John

If I understood him correctly, I think that TTC was suggesting that, IF the feeds to the demister and light could be separated, and IF the mirror had a switch for a light, then both L and S/L could be used - the L to the switch for the mirror's light (so that it could be used at night, without main light on) and the S/L to the demister (so people did not forget to turn it off).

Kind Regards, John
I knew I was being dense, I had not thought of the demister aspect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back