Issue with demister pad on bathroom mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Sorry for the basic question.

I've moved in to a new home and noticed that the demister pad on the led bathroom mirror does not switch off when the mirror lights are switched off.

The mirror itself is one of those operated by swiping your hand underneath it to switch the lights on. That is all working fine. However I noticed the mirror remained warm even when the lights were off.

Looking at a few other brands of these mirrors, they consistently say that the demister only works when the lights are on so I'm at a loss.

I've taken the mirror off the back but it does not contain any brand info. Additionally there are no other switches etc, just the transformer into which the mains socket goes in to.

Do you guys have any other ideas?

Is it safe as it is?

Thanks and apologies for the vague question.

Beekay

Sponsored Links
Thanks stillp. I'll double, triple check that but it's definitely still warm after a whole night of being off.

There is a small led on the bottom of the mirror that stays on at all times (kind of like a guide light - quite useful at night actually). Again, not sure if this is expected behaviour.

That's not behaviour that I'd expect. Probably the LED is to indicate that the demist heater is powered. I've seen one that has a humidity sensor to turn the heater on; perhaps yours is one of those and the sensor has failed. When you say "a new home", is it a new build, or just new to you?

Sponsored Links
Cheers stillp.

It's just new to me but built around 13 years ago.

I agree that it doesn't seem sensical that it would be on all of the time. I hoped there would be a brand name on the back somewhere but nothing there unfortunately.

I'll take it off again tonight and see if there is a way to switch it off. It's got to be dangerous to have on all of the time.

Oh the joys and pains of moving into a new place and finding these niggly things.

Ok. Found the make and model by tapping an obscure code on the back in to Google. Demister is absolutely not meant to be on unless the led is. All the wiring seems to be fine and no other buttons or switches.

Will give them a buzz tomorrow. It's made by HiB so maybe they will do the right thing and fix it.

Chipped one of the bloody corners in the process too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back