Running network cable (cat 5) with twin and earth help

That does not seem at all unreasonable to me, AIUI DC is generally more hazardous than ac of the same voltage.
I agree - but, as I've said, BS7671 is inconsistent with that "reasonable" approach by saying that RCDs are regarded as an acceptable means of "additional protection" only "in AC systems" and, more specifically, restricts the requirement for RCD protection of sockets to only those in "AC systems".

Hence, it would seem that the requirement for RCD protection of buried LV cables (without excluding cables carrying DC LV) is the only case in which BS7671 is "reasonable", it being fairly "unreasonable" in all other cases.

Mind you, this is probably all pretty moot, since I think one would probably struggle (these days) to find a DC LV electrical installations!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I don't really understand that. A DC RCD will surely work just as well if, as with the familiar use of RCDs with AC installations, it is one side of the (not centre-tapped) supply that "the DC might leak to" , won't it?

I think you are right.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back