Cable Runs!!

S

scotteng

hello

I need to run some cables down a square brick pillar, to feed a kitchen island sockets. The cables will be plastered and will not be inline of the sockets, so my question is

can i run cables from ceiling to the island if they are kept within 150mm from the edge of the wall, or does that only apply to internal corners? or will it be a case of earthed steel conduit??

cheers in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
can you put a socket on the pillar anyway?

just to show a cable is present?

can you put a socket on the pillar anyway?

just to show a cable is present?

i was hoping to, but customer wants all sockets hidden away in cupboards, which are not in line with the pillar!! which is a bugger

I'd run a cable or containment system that permits wiring to be installed outside of the safe zones, as I think the 150mm rule is a bit of a grey area in this case. I suppose technically it would be permitted to run unprotected cables within said zone, but common sense says it's a bad idea.

Sponsored Links
i was hoping to, but customer wants all sockets hidden away in cupboards
What's he going to use them for if they are in cupboards?

And why are so many people so ******g thick that they cannot grasp the simple concept that a kitchen is a place of work?

i was hoping to, but customer wants all sockets hidden away in cupboards
What's he going to use them for if they are in cupboards?

And why are so many people so ******g thick that they cannot grasp the simple concept that a kitchen is a place of work?

tell me about it!!! the whole kitchen which is a fair size has only one socket at work top height!! crazy, ill be expecting a call in a few months to add a few more!! the sockets in the cupboards is just stupid, so much work for something that will never be used! hey ho

Kettle

Mixer

Food processor

Hand-held blender

Toaster

Subject to your take on accessibility, and whether they should have isolators above the worktops, you can put sockets in cupboards for fixed/static appliances, but when he wants toast with his tea which will he put in the cupboard - the toaster or the kettle?

If he's that pathetic that he doesn't want sockets on his precious walls why doesn't he use those jobbies that sink down into the worktop when not needed?

can i run cables from ceiling to the island if they are kept within 150mm from the edge of the wall, or does that only apply to internal corners? or will it be a case of earthed steel conduit??
cheers in advance for your help

Yes you can. The On Site Guide states "vertically within 150mm of the angle formed by two walls" so the choice is yours.

Sockets in kitchen cupboards is pointless but if it's what the customer wants... :)

If he's that pathetic that he doesn't want sockets on his precious walls why doesn't he use those jobbies that sink down into the worktop when not needed?

But that would spoil his precious worktop. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back