Horizontal Cabling in a Ring Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have recently purchased a house with a concrete floor, so all downstairs cabling drops down from the ceiling void. Each room currently only has a single socket, so I obviously want to add to the circuit, which I am very happy to do.

I understand fully that all cables need to run vertically or horizontally. I also understand that cables should be 150mm from walls.

Rather than running cables for each socket vertically from the ceiling void it will be a lot less channelling out to run the cables horizontally around the room, then plaster over the horizontal cabling. Is it acceptable to run a cable around a corner horizontally (with an acceptably deep channel) or is it better to accept that I need to take each cable back into the ceiling and down again for the next socket?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can run a concealed cable horizontally around a corner - no need to go excessively deep though as it'll still be in an acceptable wiring zone as long as there's a socket or inspection box at either end and the chase is level.

It's personal preference but I prefer the up and down method but there are advantages to shorter cable runs and no disruption to rooms above.

That is great. I would prefer to run vertical cables but it is going to make it a much bigger job.

Thanks for your prompt reply. That should make the job easier. :D

That is great. I would prefer to run vertical cables but it is going to make it a much bigger job.

Thanks for your prompt reply. That should make the job easier. :D

Is said circuit protected by a 30mA RCD?

Sponsored Links
Not sure...
It has quite an old consumer unit at present (reqiuring wire fuse replacements).

I am getting an electrician in to replace the consumer unit (I know my limits!) but am hoping to add the extra sockets to the circuit beforehand.

I specifiaclly asked NAPIT (my registration body) helpline re this.

They stated that horizontal is fine but that it does not allow you to go round a corner. That's why the diagrams only show it going into the corner and no further.

I'd be happy is someone can give me a definitive reference that says different.

I can't see a problem with a cable entering and exiting a 150mm corner wiring zone as long as it routes directly horizontally to and from an accessory.

If there is an accesory either side of the corner, and the cable runs between the two, I can't see a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back