Doubling up floor joists to cope with gym equipment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at using a ground floor room as a gym but would like to ensure the floor is strong enough to cope.

It is a 1930s semi. The floor is a suspended timber floor with 2" x 5" joists at 380mm centres. The room is 3.6m wide but there is a sleeper wall around the perimeter and down the middle, so the max span is 1.8m.
One area will hold my son's weight rack. This weighs 80kg + weights 170kg + him 80kg = 330kg in an area about 1.35m x 0.85m.

The floor seems pretty sound and the joists have no signes of rot or infestation.

I was considering doubling up the joists and may be even tripling under the weights rack. Or alternatively, I could take a course of bricks off the sleeper walls and replace the joists by 7" or 9". Another option would be to double up with a flitch plate.

Any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Just double them up, I would consider using 18mm ply over the existing floor boards if there is going to be point loads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back