Suspended floor joists and damp

I’ve noticed that the honeycomb wall between the dining room and the sitting room seems to have most of the holes filled in with some kind of white powder, like chalk(/lime?) - any idea what/why/how and if I should remove it? It is surely blocking the airflow but I don’t understand how or why it got there in the first place
1A459A48-FEEE-443F-A1A8-7F708BCEE389.jpeg
D9F31817-F902-4BF9-98B7-663E1F056F87.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I'd clear it out, you want a good air flow through the wall.

Make sure you put a DPC between any wood and the brick sleeper walls, before loading your new joists on there... If you can't you could slide some bits under the joists, not as good but better than leaving it blank.

Thanks for the update.

Yeah I was thinking to dig it out, just really weird and wondered if anyone had an idea if what it was.

I’ve got a roll of DPC, will do! That timber on the near sleeper wall is just balanced there to check my levels, I’ll be putting a layer down when the timbers go in tomorrow. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I had to clear out bucket loads of the stuff. Over 80s years of dust and dirt accumulation. Much from plastering I think!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back