Suspended Floor Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently moved into a 1935 3 bed semi with a single storey rear extension built in 1982.

Ive been investigating the suspended timber floor in the rear living room with a view to insulate. A third of this room extends into the modern extension. I fully expected the flooring to be osb in the extension as a continuation of the existing floorboards.

Upon removing a section of osb I find timber joists just floating on wedges, not tied into anything. Furthermore the wedges range from wood, tile and slate. The joists are level in themselves but not each other, and certainly not with the existing floor.

Is this normal practice?

I'm now leaning towards installing a timber ledger against the wall (dpc between it and said wall) with m16 through bolt anchors, and then tieing in the joists to that? That way I could get the ledger true to the existing suspended floor joists and get a level floor throughout.

I also intend to replace osb for like for like floorboards so this would benefit.

Sorry for the awful quality pics. The pic with the level shows the original external wall inbetween old and new joist.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, James

Attachments

• IMG-20200125-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20200125-WA0000.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG-20200125-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20200125-WA0002.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 524
Sponsored Links
what are the joist tails sitting on - a DPC or a timber plate or masonry?
the tails or tail packing must sit on a bit of DPC at a min.
pack with hardwood offcuts if possible - slate is for wedging up not packing.
there's no need for a ledger - the joists can be packed up to an even, both ways, floor plane.
noggins can be used to tie the joists to each other or L-brackets could pin them to the blockwork/masonry.

pic 2 shows a dark patch of something on a joist near to the camera - what is it?

Tails are currently packed with a mix of offcuts, tile, and slate. They are sitting on a dpc, which is sat on built up masonry.

Good idea about noggins, I'll try that once I've spaced them and packed up even.

The dark patch is a knot in the wood.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back