fixing a suspended timber floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to build a timber floor across my daughters very high ceilinged room. (Basically a raised bed platform) I am going to make what I think is referred to as a ledger board to run across each opposite wall and suspend the joists off this. The floor is big enough for a double bed and that's about it. For added stability the joists at either end will be fitted into the walls instead of suspended off the ledger board. My question is how to fix into the walls; one is brick and the other is concrete blocks (not the crumbly breeze block type) and I plan to use sleeve bolts. Will this be strong enough? Joists will be spaced at 450mm and will be 145x45. I expect to use 6 bolts on either side of the floor. The span is 3M max.

Sponsored Links
Well since no one wants to have ago at this I'll answer it myself! I used M12 resin bolts in the end and didn't bother embedding the two end rafters into the wall. It's still up, nice and rigid and we've had 4 people standing on it without a creak or any other movement; sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back