Replacing rotten floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found three rotten floor joists in the hall way when fitting a new radiator.

I have sawn them out and they were just sat on and in the internal wall over a sleeper wall and then onto the inner leaf of the cavity wall be the doorway.

I've cut and laid in 3 new treated joists onto of the existing good condition slate and have sealed the cut end grain.

The joists are about 2.4 metres long with a sleeper wall in the centre.

Do I need to fix them into the wall before laying the floorboards down? Should I use some straps or noggins to stop them twisting?

Richard

Sponsored Links
Just use your judgement, the floor boards will hold them somewhat, you could put a treated batten on the bottom somewhere to keep them in line from twisting independently. I guess they're just 4 by 2.

Yes, 4 x 2 C24 as the span is only 1.2metres between wall and sleeper.

Think I will try and put some wedges in the internal wall just to get some stability before laying boards. A batten across the bottom would also be a good idea.

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back