dowelled joints in Ply

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am not much good at woodwork, but I previously made some kitchen cabinets in laminated chipboard with dowelled joints (I have a jig and they are fairly neat).

I don't like chipboard, and was thinking of making some more in 18mm ply, as I am tinkering with the kitchen and want some in odd sizes, I can probably stain and lacquer them to blend in with the wood doors.

But will dowels be adequate going into the edges of ply? The cabinets will be wall-hung and loaded with china or cans.

p.s. I haven't got a biscuit jointer or a router and don't really want to buy one and learn how to use it. I am very clumsy and would probably cut my fingers off too :oops:

Sponsored Links
In a word yes.

And it goes with out saying that the dowels will at their strongest in the centre of the edge of the plywood or what ever manmade board you intend to use.

go for 8x30mm dowels if you have a collar set it for an accurate 16mm on your jig
1/4 to 1/2 a pea sized blob in each hole too much you will have a job to get to get tight joins you may also get glue pushing the veneere face up

dont pay anymore than around £1.20 a hundred 8x30 dowels

remember ply dosnt look natural because its peeled off the log like a pencil sharpner the grain is 10 time further appart and wont make a good match with real grain

Sponsored Links
yes, I see what you mean about not looking natural

but I was going to use it for the carcases, as I thought it would blend in better with wooden doors than laminated chipboard

I have a heap of doors in this light panelled stuff

View media item 4231
View media item 4236

Is it right to presume that when you say laminated chipboard you actually mean MFC = Melamine Faced Chipboard ?

Have a look at these two links it will explain more.

http://www.exlcr.co.uk/material_guide.htm#mfc

http://www.pendock.co.uk/Products/P...aterials_&_Finish_Options/default.aspx?id=399

I would give you a link to another DIY forum where’s there as been a debate on the subject but it would get the post removed. But the outcome was DIYers and amateurs call it laminated chipboard but professionals call it MFC

There is nothing wrong with using MFC Melamine Faced Chipboard

DIYers and amateurs call it laminated chipboard but professionals call it MFC

diynot.gif

DIYer, mate ;)

surely ply is stronger? and I could stain it to blend in with the doors.

p.s. what do you call those glass things, with a brass bayonet cap, that give out light when you pass electricity through them? :D

the trouble with ply is splintering whilst cutting and the unfinnished end grain usualy requiring a bit off veneer bought or 2mm cut from a bit off 2x1

aha!

didn't think of that.

maybe a bit of 18mm stripwood glued on before finishing

aha!

didn't think of that.

maybe a bit of 18mm stripwood glued on before finishing

That’s another difference between a DIYer and a profiesional

Then when the wood strip shrinks due to in drying out you will see a step between the plywood and the solid wood edging be it hardwood or softwood.

The plywood will remain at 18mm while the softwood will shrink to say 17mm.

So what’s the answer use iron on edging and paint or stain that. But I would prime / seal the edges of the board with exterior grade PVA wood glue when the glue as set applies the iron on edging.

A-presto Bobs your Uncle and Mary’s your Aunt you will have a proper job.

On the subject of strength in this particular project MFC will be fine if it wasn’t the kitchen manufactures wouldn’t use it would they?

John, get a biscuit jointer and you'll soon be making strong joints quickly and accurately, and get to keep most of your fingers into the bargain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back