Down Spout - Leak in to basement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The downspout that collects the water from my roof runs down the side of my house and disappears through a stone slab.
The water collected on the roof eventually passes down a further meter or so underground and then moves underground away from the house approx. 2 meters and out of the wall on to the street.
Or at least its supposed to.

I noticed that water pours in through the walls in my basement every time it rains. And where the water pours in is the part of the wall where the downspout has passed under ground before taking the water out on to the street. To double check this, I looked at the water coming out of the side of the wall on to the street when it was raining. There was none. The other houses next to mine had mini-streams. Therefore, there must be a problem with the spout under ground.

Im not sure what sort of contraption is under ground. Access is a little difficult. Due to concrete.

The downspout itself is cast iron and the house was built before 1850 so maybe that will mean something to some experts.

I've attached a picture of the downspout entering the ground. (in album downspout)

I am rubbish at DIY, I dont know what to do, but would like to give it a try. Can anyone tell me what to do next please?

thanks

Sponsored Links
It will be blocked, try and get the drain cleaned out. You'll have to crack open the cement and dig around the clay pot it goes into, try and get your hand down there. otherwise you'll have to try and lead the water away from the house by busting the bottom of the pipe and letting the water surface run by putting some gutter underneath it or something so it no longer goes down the drain.

Or drill a hole in the pipe large enough for a spring rod.

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest that this is more than a simple blockage difficulty:

Perhaps your underground drainage has failed and its time to expose it and repair or replace it - likewise, perhaps the CI RWP has had it's day.

Alternatively you could abandon this gutter outlet and RWP, and divert the gutter discharge to another ( new? ) RWP, and available gulley.

How do you know where the drainage goes - is there a manhole nearby, or does it discharge into a sump?

You need to get that water well away from your foundations or the house will start to sink. Dig it up and re-do the lot. Don't skimp now and pay big-time later.

Thank you everyone for your advice. (tim00 - I am not sure what some of those acronyms mean. I am a complete novice)

I decided to smash open the concrete. I have uploaded some more pics. It seems that the leak occurs pretty much in the region where the cast iron pipe enters in to the concrete .

Any ideas on what I should do and how I should go about it?

Thanks again for help. Its much appreciated.

Feel behind the cast iron rain water pipe ( surely you can do some basic acronym research on here ) and perhaps you will find that its rotten. Anyhow, remove the whole RWP and repoint the brickwork in the corner, before replacing it.

Using a hammer and cold chisel you could nibble away at the concrete surrounding the RWP and clay hub.

What tools do you have?

When you've exposed the clay hub come back here. If you crack the hub or bend, dont worry, there's a quick solution. Dig under the no-hub fitting, and clean off the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back