Downlighters delay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

first message on here, site looks very good.

I've installed some new downlighters, replacing the ancient ones which were so bright they could have guided in planes. My query is, why is there about a one second delay between me fliping the light switch to the downlighters coming on? Anybody got any ideas? Is it a potential problem? Someone mentioned voltage drop, but would this mean looking to make the circuit a ring if it\\\'s a radial?

Confused Mike. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Are the light 12V ? or 230V type?

If the cable from the transformer is too far from light which is very easy with extra low voltage lights, this will have a height volt drop. Above 4% allowed i.e 230V allows a volt drop of 9.2V

If you make them a ring system the volt drop will be less

But normally i see a small delay on 12V spot light, nothing to worry about :)

i got a varilight dimmer - that has soft-start, i was well impressed :D

But with a transformer, it is normal for a short delay. my uncle had about 4 different types of trannys powering his kitchen lights, and when he flipped the switch, they came on in sequence :LOL:

Sponsored Links
For interest the transformers are 12V. If it's not a problem, as a few of you said, I'll leave the circuit and transformers as they are. Many thanks to everyone for your help.

not so confused Mike.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back