downlights wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I want to install some downlights in a grid pattern with 2 independent zones. I was thinking I could do it as shown attached, is this OK? Online resources seem to suggest junction boxes are required. Can't the connections just be done in the light fitting terminal blocks?

Attachments

• downlights.png
    downlights.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 353
Sponsored Links
Most downlight terminal blocks are only capable of accommodating one or (at the most) two conductors.

you have a couple of lights in your plan that will certainly need junction boxes.
Make sure you can access the junction if you need to.

PS. I don’t understand your wiring plan. Where does the feed come from? The dimmer isn’t in right place. Why two gang?

Two gang for two independent zones obviously.
But he seems to have linked them together. That link, the left of the two wires in the middle needs removing.
Dimmer presumably fed from the right.

It depends on what is meant by the to and from next light label. If that is the LNE feed in and out, then I would take that to the dimmer. That will drastically reduce the number of cables that need to go in the ceiling and remove/reduce the need for JBs hidden up there.

Unlike you, I am not one to “presume”. I’m waiting for clarification from the OP.
Have a nice day. X

Sponsored Links
I think I understand, so the use of junction boxes is really just for practicality in case the light fixtures don't have enough space in them?

Explaining the wiring a bit more, since it seems to have not been very clear:

The top 4 lamps are zone A, bottom 4 zone B. The 4 lamps in each zone would be daisy-chained (or spurred) in parallel. The cable linking the 2 centre-right lamps is the feed linking zone A and B. The cables to next/from previous lamp are the feeds in and out of this part of the circuit. The 2 gang dimmer will have 1 dimmer for each zone.
The back box where the dimmers will go is already plastered in and so is the conduit linking it to the ceiling space. I don't think the conduit will take 4 cables, that's why I opted to feed in and out at one of the lamp fixtures (effectively, as if it was a ceiling rose). As the answer to my original question appears to suggest, I may have to use a JB of the light fixture can't fit all of these commoned-up wires.

Does this all make sense/is it correct?

Explaining the wiring a bit more, since it seems to have not been very clear:

The top 4 lamps are zone A, bottom 4 zone B. The 4 lamps in each zone would be daisy-chained (or spurred) in parallel. The cable linking the 2 centre-right lamps is the feed linking zone A and B.

But that wire appears to put both zones in parallel.

See below diagram, earths omitted for clarity.

Attachments

• downlights.png
    downlights.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 281

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back