Help fitting mains downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought some mains downlights from Wickes, 4 in the box.

Wickes very kindly have a guide on how to fit their downlights http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz/wickes/resources/images/gil/89.pdf the problem being this is for low voltage lights with a transformer which they don't seem to even sell. :rolleyes:

I've changed light fitting & sockets before but this has me stumpted a little :oops:

Each downlight has a terminal for 1 mains wire. How exactly do I wire them together though? Do I remove the existing single light fitting I have, wire that into a 4 way junction box and then to each down light?

Or do I have have a 3 way junction box for EACH downlight and have it wired like so each junction box has 2 mains cables and 1 downlight cable? (except for the 4th and final light JB which would have 1 main and 1 downlight cable)

Sponsored Links
It's more than likely the existing fitting will need to be replaced with a juction box unless there is only one cable to the fitting and the unswitched supply is located elsewhere.

From this point onwards you can link in and out of the terminals on each downligher if the terminals will accept two cores, otherwise a JB at each fitting will be the best option. I wouldn't advise spanning out from a single JB with an individual cable to each fitting, as it will be a pain to wire and probably end up looking a mess.

Not to intrude here but have you tried a standard voltage downlight a normal GU10 downlight fitting there are hundreds of them, and i know that you are/were stuck on wiring them but low voltage downlights are bloody hard to do! lol we sell loads of 240v downlights i suggest maybe purchasing a firehood i dont know wether you know what that is but its just a cloth hood that fits on top of your transformer and choc box that will then make the downlight firerrated just making it a bit safer if your not sure how your doing lol i hope that was a bit of help most probrably not but oh well.

Welcome to the forum, bewelec, and I'm not trying to be unwelcoming, but your post wouldn't have been much help even with punctuation to make it easy to read...

Not to intrude here but have you tried a standard voltage downlight a normal GU10 downlight fitting there are hundreds of them,
That's what he has bought:
Bought some mains downlights

low voltage downlights are b****y hard to do!
But he hasn't got ELV ones:
the problem being this is for low voltage lights with a transformer which they don't seem to even sell.

i suggest maybe purchasing a firehood
Why do you think he needs one?

i dont know wether you know what that is but its just a cloth hood
No it isn't.

that fits on top of your transformer and choc box that will then make the downlight firerrated
It'd do sod all for a downlight if you put it on top of the transformer...

just making it a bit safer if your not sure how your doing
What sort of risks arising from him not being sure how to connect them up would be mitigated by the fitting of firehoods?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back