Downpipe : how to insert new branch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry newbie.

I have a 68mm downpipe and need to insert a new branch into it from a victorian bay roof coming down through a swanneck.

Not sure how I can do insert the branch into the downpipe, if I cut open the downpipe and remove a couple of inches, then how can I insert the branch into it, unless I bend the downpipe a hell of a lot ? Doesn't seem possible.

If i cut a lot off the downpipe in order to give more room to shove it in, then the joints with the branch will be small.

Is there something I am missing ?!

Sponsored Links
Okay, wouldn't it be easier to cut a large section of downipe, plumb in a normal y junction in there receiving the swanneck from above, and then you will have to repair the downpipe which will basically have a joint, meaning you have a downpipe with a horizontal cut straight through it, which needs some form of sleeve ??? ?

How can you repair that ? Would that repair be simpler than a strap on boss ?

Here's a photo. The rusty old Y junction is cracked and the plastic pipe below is cracked, so basically going to remove everything except the corner hopper which stays. And then replace.

What's the best plan of action ?

Cheers

Attachments

• gutter.jpg
    gutter.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 341
Sponsored Links
Possibly dismantling the bottom of the downpipe would allow some room to play with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back