Upper gable gutter discharge onto roof not lower gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've had all the gutters and downpipes to the main house replaced - previously plastic/cast iron mix.

The new gutters are 5" seamless aluminium in a Victorian style and downpipes 68mm cast aluminium.

The upper part of the side gable was previously a rotten wooden gutter with fall to the roof edge and cast iron offset downpipe which carried the water down to a plain pipe end on the last slate of the lower roof.

The fitters did not install an offset downpipe and had the new gutter with an opposite fall to before - back onto the roof. I asked for it to be changed back to how it was as not happy with all the water that would be running backwards onto the roof over the slates/eaves/flashings etc.

It's been changed and now falls away from the roof again, but the offset downpipe isn't at the very edge of the gutter and the offset downpipe drains onto the lower roof via a shoe.

I'm told this is because it isn't possible to dress the pipe into this type of gutter. The way it's now been done, the shoe will harmlessly dissipate the water over the roof - if it was nearer the edge, with the amount of rain we get these days, then water could overshoot the gutter.

Does this sound/look ok? Attached picture of how it was/how it is now.

Thanks in advance..
chaoticj

Attachments

• Side-Gable-Left-Original.jpg
    Side-Gable-Left-Original.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Side-Gable-Left-Now.jpg
    Side-Gable-Left-Now.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
I would have done away with the pipe and had the gutter flow towards the house main roof. It’s only a short run. It would have dissipated on its way down before reaching the lower gutter and there would’ve been no splashing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back