Downpipes and soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I've a 1930s house with cast downpipes and soil pipe, previously painted with dulux exterior white paint. Parts of the pipes above the gutters are showing broken paint with bubbled rust underneath, question is how best to paint them? There is also a rust spot that has bled a discoloured rust line down undamaged white paint, this is surface of the paint only with no bubbling underneath the line.

Being cast I'm unsure how to proceed apart from removing the rust, do I then need a rust stabilizer/neutralizer, and if so of what type, before topcoating?
And if so will it be ok to use the same to overcoat the rust line mentioned above, or does this line need sanded away?

I have in the garage a few rust inhibitor products from previous car/garage projects.....a zinc primer, a Halfords Rust neutralizer and Owatrol oil....any of these any good?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Hi no need for a rust neutraliser. I would scrape them down then give them a good sand. I would use hammerite on them as that is the best available for cast and metal

Cheers Glasgow Painter for that....so simple (bit like myself!)....will get to it before the rain at the weekend.

alternatively it would be just as fast to remove the cast ones and replace with plastic no need for painting ..ever...
have fun.

Sponsored Links
alternatively it would be just as fast to remove the cast ones and replace with plastic no need for painting ..ever...
have fun.
until two or three years time when the sun has faded the plastic

then its a question of how to paint plastic guttering and down pipes.

Cillit Bang is surprisingly good at removing rust stains from painted walls.

Thanks Guys:
Scotts, that had crossed my mind, but I had scraped the rusty bits before doing the walls with masonry paint and figured I was just being a lazy bar steward by not painting them. Job now done with Hammerite.
Sparkwright, never heard of that, thanks for the tip I'll keep for the future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back