I have just had my kitchen refitted and during this had 6 downlights added. Ever since the new wiring went in, my downstairs lights have flickered(the new kitchen ones and the hall, living room and front room) and trip the consumer unit fuse. Its trips randomly, doesn't have to be a switch on r off of the lights. I went to reset the trip switch on the consumer unit and when I did I could hear like a sparking/cracking noise. I tripped the switch and it went away, so its certainly coming from the downstairs lighting unit. Something loose somewhere? The sparky get me a full certificate for the works and he'll be getting a call in the morning but asking here for advice so I don't get my pants pull down by him. Cheers.