Downstairs radiator pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all sorry if this has been mentioned before!!
We are doing some work on our house to sort some damp out so the plaster is coming off several walls. Downstairs we have solid concrete floors throughout. Three of the downstairs radiators have there flow and return pipes running to whatever rooms are above. i.e living room pipes run up the wall to the landing and the dining room pipes run upstairs to the spare bedroom, etc. When we first moved in last winter these 3 radiators only got luke warm, so I did all the obvious things. (Bled all radiators but no air apparent, took downstairs rad's off which were full of black stuff and flushed,etc).
The upstairs radiators get hot no problem so I turned all of those off at both ends and the downstairs rad's get hot also. What I'm thinking is, would the system be more efficient if the downstairs return pipes don't run back upstairs but a re-plumbed to stay downstairs and run to the gloworm combi boiler (which is located downstairs)? It seems like trying to push the cooling water back upstairs to come back downstairs somewhere else in the system is pointless? The pipework is 10mm copper at the radiators but larger under upstairs floorboards,the boiler is a glow-worm 30ci plus (believe to be approx 8-10yrs old) with 11 radiators. All have TRV's apart from bathroom radiator.
Cheers Edd

Sponsored Links
It sound to me like it either wants balancing, the 10mm runs are too long or the 10mm is partially blocked. Easy way to start is turn the return valne clockwise until it stops then count how many turns until it is fully open.

Turn each return valve then back half as many turns so it is half open.. T

Leave the rads that are struggling open more and see where you go from there,

Is this a northern thing? Isn't 10mm a false economy as fittings must be dearer and rarer. 15mm last two rads on a run, 22mm supplying 5 rads, 28mm flow & return. - job done with no circulation issues.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I'll try adjusting the upstairs radiators to increase the flow to the downstairs radiators but I still ain't sure whether it would all run better if I changed the return pipes so they returned directly to the boiler.
As for the 10mm pipe, not sure whether it's a northern thing or not but I can imagine that 10mm might block up quicker in a dirty system??

It`s a Yorkshire thing - Eeh lad save thy brass on T`installation . Customer`ll not know tha` knows ;)

Thanks for the replies. I'll try adjusting the upstairs radiators to increase the flow to the downstairs radiators but I still ain't sure whether it would all run better if I changed the return pipes so they returned directly to the boiler.
As for the 10mm pipe, not sure whether it's a northern thing or not but I can imagine that 10mm might block up quicker in a dirty system??

True 10mm will sludge up quicker in a dirty system but you arn't going to have a dirty system are you. Give it a power flush and keep the inhibitors topped up mate.

It`s a Yorkshire thing - Eeh lad save thy brass on T`installation . Customer`ll not know tha` knows ;)

We have no problems as said in our new build installations. It COSTS ME more to fit in plastic than copper so it certainly aint fitted because of cost.

I have just asked my mate, Geordie Steve, and he reckons it is to do with both, the water and the plumbers.

Apparently they are both Sh*te in the South :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back