downstairs toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
could anybody tell me where the shutoff valve for a downstairs toilet and basin would be.The cold tap and toilet cistern don,t run off the mains.There are 2 stopcocks in the cylinder cupboard upstairs so i,m hoping these will work as i don,t want to have too drain the whole system if possible cheers [/b]

Sponsored Links
As one who knows very little about plumbing, I am in future going to confine my postings to questions which get no response.

Scandy, how on earth can you expect anyone to locate your shutoff valves (if indeed there are any) over a website when you cannot do so yourself with the benefit of eyes and a torch.

You say you've found a "couple of stopcocks" upstairs. Well turn them off and see if the tap dries up. Simple as that.

scandy what you trying to do?
you can bung the cold feed of a cold water storage cistern (tank in loft) and then have minimal drain down

be wary of valves in airing cupboard 1 probably feeds your hot water cylinder so leave that 1 alone (follow the pipes)

both are probably shagged from years of not being used so you could make more aggro than you intended

about the bungs - you may not have seen them - but in the Plumbing and Heating section of your DIY shed you will find a packet with two black, rubber, cone-shaped bungs and a piece of string. They are shaped so that you can push one into the cold feed at the bottom of the cold water tank in your loft (your arm will get cold) and the piece of string is so you can pull them out afterwards.

If there is no tap on the cold feed from the loft tank (and there probably isn't) then the alternative to a bung would be to turn off the cold main and run the bath tap until the cold tank was empty, so the bungs are a lot easier.

Sponsored Links
Great! hope it goes well.

One thing I will add - if you are using a lamp on a long lead in the loft, hang it up so it can't fall in the water tank. One of my colleagues had a very sad experience which preys on my mind.

funnily enough i was replacing a ball valve up there last week and the thought crossed my mind thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back