DPC And French Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Parents in law have put in an offer for a bungalow.

It has French doors out of one bedroom into the back garden.

But there's a gurt step up on the inside to the level of the bottom of the door and a gurt step down on the outside to the patio.

They had a builder look at it today and he said It was because there is a DPC in the way. He intimated he could not change it.

My first question was then "Won't the mortared-in step on the outside be bridging the DPC?"

My next question was "How would you make it so there was a minimal step from inside to outside?"

It's a 1980s build. I can't remember if it's a solid floor or suspended timber.

Sorry, I don't have pix.

Sponsored Links
Parents in law have put in an offer for a bungalow.

It has French doors out of one bedroom into the back garden.

But there's a gurt step up on the inside to the level of the bottom of the door and a gurt step down on the outside to the patio.

They had a builder look at it today and he said It was because there is a DPC in the way. He intimated he could not change it.

My first question was then "Won't the mortared-in step on the outside be bridging the DPC?"

My next question was "How would you make it so there was a minimal step from inside to outside?"

It's a 1980s build. I can't remember if it's a solid floor or suspended timber.

Sorry, I don't have pix.

Im not sure why the DPC couldn’t go under the step and back up at the sides

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the finished floor level is a lot lower than the dpc? I’d have thought the door threshold could be dropped by chopping out however many courses and ensuring the dpc is continuous. But yeah, photos will help as I may have misunderstood

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back