DPC under front door sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm just fitting a hardwood door sill in place of a ceramic tiled step just beneth my front door. I have removed the tiles and cut into the concrete floor about 20mm in order to get the sill underneith the door jambs. Do I need to place a piece of DPC between the concrete and door sill?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I'm just fitting a hardwood door sill in place of a ceramic tiled step just beneth my front door. I have removed the tiles and cut into the concrete floor about 20mm in order to get the sill underneith the door jambs. Do I need to place a piece of DPC between the concrete and door sill?

Thanks!!

well it wouldn't hurt. rising damp is always a possibility.
personally i would sit the sill on plastic packers and leave an air gap. seal it on the inside face with expanding foam. i am always paranoid about water traps. it depends on the exposure though.

You should definitely replace the damp membrane under the cill & bring it up over the ends if you’ve gone below the original DPC. Leaving an air gap under the cill is pointless unless you have air circulation; all it will do is provide a moisture trap for all sorts of crud & a home for loads of bugs.

i would leave the air gap open to the outside (sealed on the inside). thus drained and ventilated.
the ground level outside should be lower of course and falling away from the building.

Sponsored Links
i would leave the air gap open to the outside (sealed on the inside). thus drained and ventilated.
the ground level outside should be lower of course and falling away from the building.
I wouldn't; no air circulation = no ventilation; no ventilation = a nice damp void & if the void is small enough, it will even suck water into it!

no, a gap bigger than 5mm will ventilate better than than the zero to 1mm gap left by someone "sealing" it. any water penetrating the door/ frame (ie when the side seals fail etc;) can escape.

i mean it's not worth arguing about, it's just the way i look at it. i've pulled out window and door frames where the sill has been 50% wood and 50% water. others like to "seal" everything in sight but they (the seals) do fail in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back