Concrete Door Sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New to here so hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm looking to replace an existing wooden front door and frame with a new composite door set.

The question I have is the existing door has a concrete sill with a metal strip inset as per the attached picture. I suspect it's going to be hard work to remove it so I'm looking for opinions on my options, which I see as:-

1. Leave the existing sill in place, angle grind the metal strip down to the level of the concrete and then fit a composite door set with a shallow threshold on top of the existing sill.

or

2. Removed the existing sill and replace with a sill supplied with the door set.

Any advice or previous experiences welcome as I'm struggling to decide which is the best option at the moment.

Attachments

• 2020-03-18 11.06.46.jpg
    2020-03-18 11.06.46.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 201
Sponsored Links
Hi DIY Genie, your composite door will come complete with low Ali threshold to compliment what you have already. So it’s got to come out. Hope this helps.

The place I'm intending to buy the door from which are made to measure can supply with or without a plastic cill. I was intending it the existing concrete was left in that the frame which is available with a very low profile aluminum thershold could sit on top of the existing concrete if the metal strip in it is ground down to the level of the concrete.

Do you not think that'll work as a plan?

I’ve never heard of that set up. Composite doors are designed to be secure and the frame is an integral part of the whole door. There heavy doors to be throwing about and trying to line up with the floor line. As I said originally simply order the door with a low Ali threshold which sits on a shallow stub cill and your not compromising the door and the look. You can sit it on top of the existing cill but that doesn’t make it a low threshold anymore.

Sponsored Links
Smash the threshold with a club hammer.
Mine took a few blows.
Then the door fitters can do their magic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back