What's the point of a sill? New door order question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to order a new door and one of the questions I need to answer is what sort of sill I want.... a choice of 3 different sizes or none at all.

I'm guessing a sill is there to take the water away from the door joints or something but my question is do I need one? The door sits in a 50cm alcove semi-shielded from the outside, the existing wooden door has a sill. Do I need one for my new door?

cheers
Eggers

Sponsored Links
sounds like the smallest sill will be fine for you in this situation. the biggest ones (like on some upvc doors) can be a bit of a pain to step over

Opt for a low aluminium threshold cill and not a std plastic cill. they may charge you extra for it as they are expensive but well worth the money.

:cool:

ok - so I do need a cill but I can go for the smallest they have I'm also trying to get the door as close to the floorline as possible and they have sent me their "level access threshold detail"

Can anyone give me general advice about fitting this door, using a "level access threshold detail" and installing the cill itself as it looks like they are advocating a concrete cill for this purpose.

Sponsored Links
ok - so I do need a cill but I can go for the smallest they have I'm also trying to get the door as close to the floorline as possible and they have sent me their "level access threshold detail"

Can anyone give me general advice about fitting this door, using a "level access threshold detail" and installing the cill itself as it looks like they are advocating a concrete cill for this purpose.

The low aluminium threshold cills are already screwed to the bottom of the door frame.

upvc03.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back