dpm under concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
can anyone tell me when it became common practice to use damp proof membrane under concrete floors?
the reason is i am laying a laminate floor at a house built in 1994 and to my supprise it has ashfalt layed on top of the floor-i wonder if this was done "extra" to the sub floor dpm or instead of the sub floor dpm-surely all houses by 1994 had dpm under the concrete!

Sponsored Links
we've always used a dpm since i joined the trade (1981).

though, back then it was 1000 gauge as opposed to 1200 gauge today.

ashphalt?

its either ahfalt or bituman!
its the black stuff :D
i cant understand why a house built in 94 would have this?
I was just going to lay the laminate and underlay straight on top of the ashfalt/bitumin but im wondering if it possible that no damp proof was put under the concrete?

were there any marley floor tiles fitted originally?

it is highly likely you WILL have a dpm. ;)

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replies noseall :D

im not sure about the tiles,i will ask the guy when i get back there-i thought it would have the dpm,just had to check!
It originally was the show house to the estate it sits on so they have made a special effort for that one :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back