Draft from chimney back in to room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I posted a thread over in the general DIY section - //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=355180 - however it seems it may be more relevant to this section...

In short, we've just moved into a house that has two gas fires fitted - one of them I can feel a draft coming down the flue and into the room when it is windy outside. It doesn't appear to affect the fire in use but it does cause the room to get cold easily.

Anyone got any advice for me, good or bad?

Sponsored Links
There is none!

Either you accept it or have the fire removed and chimney blocked up!

Tony

You could have a spinner or anti down-draught cowl or terminal fitted to your chimney. Ensure this is done by a competent person and that the flue and fire are tested after fitting by a RGI.
This may not completely eliminate the draught, but will certainly help.

Sponsored Links
You could have a spinner or anti down-draught cowl or terminal fitted to your chimney. Ensure this is done by a competent person and that the flue and fire are tested after fitting by a RGI.
This may not completely eliminate the draught, but will certainly help.
Thanks for this - I think a spinner was what I was imagining/hoping would help. Something like this http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/MAD_Spinner_Chimney_Cowl_-_Terracotta.html (first one I spotted on Google.)

Assume the test after is to ensure the correct airflow is still in place for the fire?

What sort of fire is it? How big is the opening into the flue? Is it at the rear of the fire or the very top?

Here's a rough photo of the fire. The blue arrow shows roughly where the cold draft is coming from, the red arrow points at the edge of the opening where the draft comes from. Hope that makes sense!
View media item 57094

Bolshy is correct, that a spinner may help. Or a UFO static anti DD cowl. Make sure the spinner (if you ) go for one doesn't distract passing motorists).

The main problem though is the type of fire. If ypu look up the fire, you will see the opening is HUGE. I have always avoided selling this type of fire for this very reason. I hate having complaining customers! Seriously, better/different fires have a smaller, about 50 - 75mm x maybe, 150mm wide at the BACK of the fire. This massively reduces draughts, and stops debris messing up your coal or pebble efffect. But you have what you have, and it is probably worth trying the terminal route. But as Bolshy says, make sure you use an RGI, who will test it. A builder (or one of those gentlemen who randomly knockon your door) will just plant it and take your cash.

FiremanT, thanks very much for that info. I'd never even considered the fact that different fires could have different size openings (why would I?!) however now you mention it, it makes perfect sense. It also explains why the other two fires in the house don't have this issue - they presumably both have smaller openings.

A least I have some options to consider now - thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back