Fan flue gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a fan flue gas fire fitted(was really no need for it but wanted a fire for decorative reasons really). Anyway, the room it's in never seems to be warm when the fire is off(all other rooms are baking hot), i noticed when the weather is cold the top of this fire was dripping wet with condensation, at this point i noticed the bloody draft coming down from the thing too! It was so bad the grate & carpet in front was like ice. Last night i decided to stuff newspaper in the gap to see what difference it made, the room is now like toast. Obviously i can't now use the fire & it looks pants(defeating the point of having it). Is this normal with a fan flue fire? I've only ever had a proper chimney fire before and that only got a draft when it was really windy outside. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
So is the fan powerful enough do discharge the fumes when it is on? Has it been tested? You may need to fit some sort of cowl on the end of the flue to reduce the draught as long as it complies?

Hi, it's a new build and i have the paper work that states it was all tested. When the fire is on the fumes are extracted fine as far as i can tell(you can smell them OUTSIDE where the flue comes out).

If it is new build then get your local building inspector round to have a look as if it is that draughty it wont meet current thermal building regs.
Also get a second opinion from an independant gas safe engineer; just because you have a certificate doesn't mean it was fitted correctly. You may fall asleep in front of the fire one evening and never wake up ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, manufacturer got back to me & said they do a guard that can help reduce the draft. I'm going to get the developer back so they can see whats what.

If it is new build then get your local building inspector round to have a look as if it is that draughty it wont meet current thermal building regs.
Also get a second opinion from an independant gas safe engineer; just because you have a certificate doesn't mean it was fitted correctly. You may fall asleep in front of the fire one evening and never wake up ;)

can you explain how a combustion vent can ever comply/not comply with a building reg, the free air is a figure based on the HI of the appliance, so will always pass that amount of free air, whether it goes through a baffle or is open does not matter, fitting a baffle slows the air down therefore giving the impression there is "less draught" and less likely to be blocked off, but in reality will pass the same free air as a straight through vent.

can you explain how a combustion vent can ever comply/not comply with a building reg, the free air is a figure based on the HI of the appliance, so will always pass that amount of free air, whether it goes through a baffle or is open does not matter, fitting a baffle slows the air down therefore giving the impression there is "less draught" and less likely to be blocked off, but in reality will pass the same free air as a straight through vent.

No I cant, all I wanted to do is question the thermal properties of it.
And surely if something slowed air tranmission down then that would mean a lesser amount of air per hour, not 'the same free air'?

The flue is fan assisted so i guess only air trying to get in would be slowed not the exit fumes? Anyway, developer is on the case, i really wanted to know whether a large draft & condensation were normal!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back