Drafty gas fire / flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister had a gas fire installed at her new house. As per normal with a new house the hole and flue had been boarded over so the fitter opened it up, fitted the fireplace and the fire.

Recently as temperatures have dropped she's noticed quite a draft coming from the fire, in fact I would call it a gale! She's resorted to fitting foam to act as a draft excluder which isn't too much of a problem as they don't use the fire for heating.

Anyway, does a draft sound normal? It's not something I've noticed before when I've had gas fires.

Sponsored Links
very dodgy fitting something to block off a hole in a flue, can you guarantee the fire wont be used without removing it first which could be lethal, the draught may be coming up from under the fireplace if it was originally a coal fire (should have been blocked before fitting gas) or could be serious down draught from chimney, whatever the cause i would suggest whole installation is checked over and everything confirmed as ok before fire is used again

It's a brand new house and brand new fire.
They've resorted to blocking the gap at the top of the fire as they could feel the draught from the other side of the living room which isn't good with a crawling 10 month old baby.

Is it normal to have a draughty chimney / flue?

the installation needs checked, you have one point of entry for air (depending on fire type etc) it is usually a hole in the bottom of the closure plate, and one point of exit, the chimney, you should NEVER feel a draught at the top of the fire as this means that position is open(obviously) and therefore products of combustion could re-enter property,
keep the fire off and get it checked :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice, I'll call her tomorrow and insist she contacts the installers of the fire on Monday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back