Draft proof front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
My front door is 100 odd years old and drafts, I am getting it taken out sanded and given some tlc soon.
I have read so many places about weather brush pile is used on old doors and sash windows but I cannot find where to buy the stuff.
I'm thinking of asking my chippy to router the stuff into the door to create a perfect seal.
Any idea where I can find this stuff or the best thing to draft proof the door.
Thanks all

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised you can't find it.

A version is also used as smoke-proof seal on fire doors, combined with an intumescent strip. I like it because it cuts out ordinary drafts, and accomodates variable sizes of gap, and helps the door shut quietly. It is fitted to a groove in the door lining ("door frame"), I suppose because the door itself might later be planed or because you are less likely to knock it. If the gap is very big I suppose you could omit the groove. You mustn't paint it.

You can get it from places that sell fire doors, or ironmongery. I think I got mine from a fire-door company on ebay. Search "fire door smoke strip" or something like that.

I have a roll of it for my sash windows with a metal slide-in backing, can't remember where it came from.

edit
you should have looked harder

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=pile+draught

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/Search?txtSearch=brush pile&intsearchType=1

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=pile+strip

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Int...arden_Door_Accessories_LE&hash=item2316c0f3a6

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
A version is also used as smoke-proof seal on fire doors, combined with an intumescent strip. I like it because it cuts out ordinary drafts, and accomodates variable sizes of gap, and helps the door shut quietly. It is fitted to a groove in the door lining ("door frame"), I suppose because the door itself might later be planed or because you are less likely to knock it. If the gap is very big I suppose you could omit the groove. You mustn't paint it.
Actually on retrofits we always apply the cold smoke seal (or more often combined intumescent/cold smoke seal) to the door. This is quite normal. It generally comes in widths of 10, 15 and 20mm (mainly x 4mm deep), are coloured white, grey or brown with brown, black or dl.grey brush (you often don't get a choice in the colour combinations, though!) and is best installed using an intumescent strip cutter on the router (one of the sash window refurb components firms sells these for under £20). 15mm seems to be the most commonly available these days.

Best suppliers seem to be "proper" ironmongers (the sort who sell architectural ironmongery), joinery product firms (Howdens, Jewsons, Magnets, etc), door firms who sell wooden doors and better quality builders merchants. The stuff doesn't come in rolls, it comes in 2.1 or 2.2metre length which you cut to fit

Sponsored Links
I have a similar problem - looking to better draught proof an old wooden front door.

The idea I had was looking at (which I think sounds similar to that suggested above) was to get some staff bead with an inserted pile or bubble foam, and attach around the perimeter. The downside of this is that it will reduce the overall width by about 30mm (i.e. 2x15mm). I've seen this stuff for sale at mighton/reddiseals as it's the stuff used on renovating sash windows.

As I like messing around with stuff (and need to do several doors), I was wondering about trying to make some of this myself. i.e. buy a staff bead from the local timber merchant, route in a groove and attach some pile or bubble seal in a carrier. What would be the best way to route in a groove into a small narrow piece of wood - do I need a specific router?

Also, if I wanted to shave off a few mm from the staff bead, what would be the best way to do this and and have it looking alright (or is it going to look naff trying to do that?)

Why bother messing around with staff beads, etc when there are quite a few ready-made solutions which are more widely available and cheaper to boot?

It was really to do with the look of them, thought they looked quite neat and tidy.

I've seen some Stormguard ones that just look a bit plasticy, so thought it might be a nicer solution?? Agree it is way more faff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back