Quote for hanging a new front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a quote of £160 to hang a new front door which I have purchase.

The cost includs a full days labour which he charges £130.

And £30 for a weather bar and draft proofing strips.

I live in the West Midlands.

Is this price about right? or am I being over charged?

Cheers

James

Sponsored Links
Does the "full day" include taking out old frame and fitting new?

what:-
Locks?
Glass?
Brass knobs?
Fancy hinges?

He will be doing the following:

1) Take old door off
2) Fit New Yale lock to New Door
3) Fit Letter box to Net Door
4) Fit Ledge Lock to New Door
5) Shave new door and fit with 3 new standard hinges to existing door frame
6) Fit Weather Bar & Draft Proof Strips.

Sponsored Links
£100 is fair for a full 8 hour, day’s labour (not including lunch!) but I would question the £30 for a weather bar and draft proofing strips; sounds like a bit of ‘milking’ to me!

The amount of money seems fair, but I doubt it will really take a whole day.

I had (over a day and a half) two new frames and doors fitted, with mortice locks, rack bolts and hinge bolts, and half-glazed.

I'm no joiner so I couldn't have done it myself in anything like the time. I also find it's really tiring lifting a hardwood door up and down to trial-fit it.

JohnD said:

I had (over a day and a half) two new frames and doors fitted, with mortice locks, rack bolts and hinge bolts, and half-glazed.

I'm no joiner so I couldn't have done it myself in anything like the time. I also find it's really tiring lifting a hardwood door up and down to trial-fit it.

Seems like only 2 joiners/carpenters have answered youre question so far, get some more quotes and I bet they will be over £200.It is only a peice of wood what are you scared of it cannot be that hard to fit a front door after all.
I can tell you now I have been doing this job for 32yrs now and sometimes it goes alright and I might finish a door in 4hrs ,but it can quite often take all day depending if the frame is in square out of square ,in wind,out of wind ,or even if the customer has even orderded the right sized door that fits in the frame and it goes on Richard C I enjoyed youre little wind up ,nice one .
Like I said It is a fair price ,make the man a cup of tea and do not bore him with youre problems ,he is there to do a job of work to pay for his morgage,otherwise he might charge you conselling fees on top

Make sure the locks he's fitting are British Standard rated - BS3621:2004, otherwise your insurance is likely to be invalidated. The latter part (2004) is important, as all new door installations should be to this standard, and not using the older 1998 standard locks. The faceplate will have a kitemark and BS36:2001 stamped on it - if not kitemarked, it won't be BS rated.

I have a friend (50 odd) who has experience with replacing doors and locks and it took him a full day to complete the work.

I find planing can take a bit of time, but I've only done this a couple of times and forgot to pencil a line going from either side of the door.

splinters spot on,like he says it can be done in 4hrs if it goes well or usually a full 8hrs,but if the chippy does it 6hrs the rest of the day is knackerd so is not capable of going to another job and earning anymore money.so a full days pay it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back