Drafty front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I live in a student house with a pretty standard wooden front door. The problem is that it's so drafty, there are quite big gaps around the edge of the door that let all the cold air (and daylight!) in. There are no radiators in the whole of the hallway so it gets really cold! I have bought some of those cheap foam strips to go around the doorframe, which would have worked really well except that the door didn't close then!

Because its a student house it has fire doors, they have that furry stuff (sorry don't know the name) around the doorframes and they look like the kind thing I need but can't find them anywhere!

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated so I can keep my gas bill down in winter :D

Ps. Landlord is terrible so he will be of no help at all!

Sponsored Links
Because its a student house it has fire doors, they have that furry stuff (sorry don't know the name) around the doorframes and they look like the kind thing I need but can't find them anywhere!
They're called variously cold smoke seals or intumescent strips with smoke seals or just brush seals...... They come in three widths, 10mm, 15mm and 20mm and generally require a groove 4mm deep to install (the backings are self-adhesive). Installation generally requires a router with a cutter like this one to put the groove up the sides and along the top of the door. Any decent builders merchant should stock them or failing that Howdens Joinery (which is where I buy mine)

PS If the front door is a fire door with a recent frame it should already have grooves/strips fitted - for a retrofit the door would have the strips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back