Drain access repair/rebuild

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a new front dividing wall, and on digging out the foundations the state of one side of our drain access has become apparent.

View media item 95554
View media item 95555
There is a gap between the brickwork and the cover (which needs reseating).
Ideally I'd like to take a further level of bricks out so that the foundations could be a bit more level, but am fearful of the whole thing collapsing.

So my questions are.

1. Could the bricks be left in-situ and form part of the foundation of the new wall?
2. If so how best could the cover be reseated given the gap?
3. If best to remove the bricks, how to rebuild that side - with shuttering to contain the foundations, or some sort of lintel?

The wall itself will be stepped as there is a fall of 40cm down the drive. Plan is for a double width wall with max height of 1m at highest end.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would leave the bricks in situ and just build around it, place concrete either side to stabilise it then cut back any brick work if needed

Thanks for the reply.

The bit I am most concerned about is the side of the drain cover next to the existing bricks. Due to the gap, in effect the existing cover is only seated on 3 sides and ideally I'd like it to be on all 4 when replacing but not sure how best to go about it.

Remove the first course of bricks on the manhole - then as the wall comes up have a row of bricks @ 90 degrees sticking out halfway of the 9inch wall to support the iron rim Iike this I- :notworthy:

Sponsored Links
Would that be stronger than say running a concrete lintel parallel to the new wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back