drain camera survey is it a DIY job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have possible drain problems at our house.

The local rumour is that when the houses were built (1992), the ground works contractors tied their horses up each morning before starting work!

The out come is that the undergroud drainage is set deep ( 5 ft down) , and various neighbours have found underground pipes not connected up etc.

So I want to get our pipes checked out for faulty connections/ breakages. With this years heavy rain, soil keeps vanishing down holes and rats keep appearing.

I've just been let down by a third drainage company who I booked to carry out a survey of the drains ( they just don't turn up!). So is it a DIY job?

I can hire the kit, but are breaks/ misalligments easy to spot?
Should I just get a ground works contractor to survey and repair as needed?

Sponsored Links
The damage should be fairly evident, if you use a camera stop every 1/2 metre just to make sure image is clear with no vibration.Good lighting is important.

I had my dads drains done after the contractors said that they had relined the drain because it was collapsing. Cost me £100 and they used cctv to see that the drain was not collapsing and no relining had been done at all. I didnt pay the £640 bill for the suposed relining but was glad to pay the £100 and got it all on video as well. Needless to say that the drain company never got back to me when i never paid them. worth every penny!! :D

If you`re in Sussex. I can recommend one ........wherever you are get quotes......most independent drain clearers have cctv.......but some are right clowns :rolleyes: you should get a video of the job being done .......inside the drain......don`t pay without this , and specify it before you get quotes......and don`t believe all they tell you about how to remedy the faults.....get a builder/plumber`s second opinion on fixes.............. you can hire the kit :oops: get me some glasses and I`ll come and do the survey with you......long as you`re South of Watford ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back