Unknown Pipe in Garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have been breaking out some old concrete footings in my garden to prepare the area for a new patio.
Alongside the footings there was an additional thin concrete slab, which having broken through had some rubble/bricks underneath. This is probably 150mm under where the ground level is so not too deep.
Having lifted the brick up, there was a small pool of water and exposed pipe underneath. It didn't look to be flowing, but there was as I say a small pool of water.
I stopped digging at that point, but did take a picture. You can see the brick removed circled in blue and an up close that shows the house, an a picture of the pipe.

You can see the drainage pipes in the further our pictures, I believe they drain into a drain round the corner of the extension as there is a manhole cover there. As a result I cannot work out what this pipe might be doing and where it is going.

Any thoughts on what this might be? And the best course of action - should I get a drain inspection survey done?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230225_123147.jpg
    20230225_123147.jpg
    830.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230225_123202.jpg
    20230225_123202.jpg
    683.9 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
If it doesn't stink and just looks like standing water, I'm guessing it's an surface water/soakaway pipe

I'd try to follow it back and see if it's still being used. When I dug up an old bit of concrete patio at my house, I found a few pipes similar to that, similar depth, but they didn't go to any hopper, and were redundant.

I'm sure the drain guys will be along to advise better... bet you are popular doing this on Sunday morning... hahaha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back